The Bread of Life Outreach (BOLO) is a 501(c)(3) ministry of the Newport Assembly of God Church that is located in the small town of Newport, Perry County, Pennsylvania. The compassion ministry has been serving others for almost 30 years relieving the burden of poverty by supplying basic needs and compassion to those facing hardship.
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. – John 6:35
The Bread of Life Outreach (BOLO) is a 501(c)(3) ministry of the Newport Assembly of God Church located in the small town of Newport, Perry County, Pennsylvania. The compassion ministry has been serving those in need for almost 30 years.
BOLO exists to express the love of God and create opportunities to share the transformational message of the gospel through the provision of basic needs.
BOLO is volunteer-operated and led by one part-time manager along with the partnership of the founding pastor, Gary Bellis.
BOLO serves struggling communities in Perry County and surrounding rural counties that have high poverty rates with up to fifty percent of the school students qualifying for the federal government free or reduced lunch program.
BOLO also partners with churches and non-profit agencies in Perry County, Pennsylvania and many other states to help further their mission of helping those in need.
Most importantly, BOLO offers friendship, hope, and encouragement through Jesus Christ, the Christian community, and the practical teachings of Scripture.
As a faith-based organization, BOLO does not discriminate against any religion, race or creed and provides free services to all individuals, families, and organizations in need.
- BOLO feeds over 18,000 people per month at no cost to the recipients.
- BOLO serves over 160 organizations per month with product at no cost.
- BOLO receives donations in an excess of 255 tons of food and non-food products monthly from a variety of local and national retailers and farms.
- BOLO provides serving opportunities for over 300 local volunteers who organize and distribute products.
- BOLO offers a robust variety of free products to provide recipients healthier choices and needed supplies.
- FOOD: Perishable and non-perishable products including canned goods, meats, fresh produce, dairy, cereals, snacks, and frozen foods.
- NON-FOOD: Household and personal items including cleaning supplies, office supplies, health and beauty aids, hygiene products, diapers, formula, non-prescription medicines, and vitamins.
- MEDICAL: Supplies and equipment including crutches, walkers, canes, and hospital beds.
- HOUSEHOLD: Items including school supplies, new/used furniture, kitchenware, and small appliances.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Annual events, Dinner Table outreach, public school student pantries, and support groups.
- DISASTER RELIEF: Assistance as needed for those who suffer loss due to house fires, floods and other weather related adversities.
The BOLO pantry is in the heart of our rural community located at 35 N. Front Street, Newport, Pennsylvania. The pantry is a 6,500 sq. ft. building with a recipient “shopping” area and warehouse space. BOLO volunteers welcome and assist recipients at the pantry three days a week. Empowering recipients to select their own products restores dignity and offers them the freedom to obtain the products based on their dietary and family needs.
The BOLO warehouse is the most recent expansion of BOLO’s capacity to serve the continually growing needs in Perry County and beyond. The 11,000 sq. ft. building, located at 407 W. Juniata Parkway, Millerstown, Perry County, Pennsylvania, enables BOLO to receive, process and share significantly more product. Upon purchase, the BOLO warehouse was renovated with industrial shelving to accomodate a massive amount of dry storage, industrial size refrigeration and freezer units, and a loading dock to receive donated shipments via tractor trailer.